Tiddly Cove’s annual English Bay Scramble is the most interesting and popular sailboat race in Vancouver, and perhaps in the world. Do not argue with us! Skippers and crews competing in the Scramble are the most highly regarded sailors we know, and perhaps that one could meet, ever.
The English Bay Scramble is a unique race where tacticians have free rein in how the marks are rounded, even which way to cross the start line. It delivers a unique combination of:
- the strategic challenges of a long distance race (varying sea states, winds, tides)
- the accessibility of English Bay (no long delivery trips required)
- a legendary after-party! (BBQ, music and prizes)
- an open, low-intensity format, suitable to sailors of all experience levels (and budgets!)
Details on racing can be found somewhere, maybe below, but we suspect you are really interested in the party following racing. “What?” you may ask, somewhat incredulously, “Some of the most challenging and fun racing ever, in the most beautiful place in the world AND there is a party afterwards!?”
Yes, not only is there a party, which will be attended by the coolest people ever, but there will be the Scramble Sailors Challenge where you can test your crew skills on flat and dry land! We will have food – and not just any food but a Southwestern BBQ (only $20 cash only because it is supported by Karen Weiner of TAC Realty!) And you can eat it! We are pretty sure that you will be able to purchase some delicious beverages, and not just any beverages, but some hand crafted by Red Truck Beer. We will have music too, and not just any music – it will be performed live before your very eyes by the world renowned Honky Tonk Dilletants! We will also have race results, prizes, awards and door prizes – you will leave dripping in swag and crowned in glory. We promise!* It will be the most fun you have ever had in your life – be there!*
*individual results may vary
The Race – when it is at:
- Racing starts at 11am on Saturday August 19th.
- Skippers get a meal ticket and first beverage included in registration
- Can buy their crew meal tickets at time of registration (both will be given to you when you check in at post race festivities)
- Will receive awards for placing in their Division (including M242s and overall)
Post Race BBQ:
- Are in general wonderful!
- Check out the great range of racing and cruising sails at North Sails - the world's leading sailmaker (they have the most excellent customer service too).
- Go to Skookum Yacht Services for all your diving, haul out and repair needs – they are fab! Get them to dive your boat before the Scramble and be fast!
- Drink Red Truck Beer - need we say more?
- Buy a house or a condo or meet the best buyers agent ever - Karen Weiner at TAC Realty!
- Starts after 5 pm at the VANCOUVER MARITIME MUSEUM
- parking is available - first come etc.
- Southwestern BBQ only $20
- Red Truck Beer
- Live Music by Honky Tonk Dilletants!
- Race results, prizes, awards and door prizes
- Amazing Crew Challenge
- Best decorated boat
- Best crew costume/uniform
- Crew challenge competition – attempt sailing maneuvers on dry land
"The Scramble is probably the only race in the Lower Mainland where independent thought actually pays off. Nowhere else does splitting away from your competition actually make sense and it is the only race where you can take a course that is not taken by your competitors and actually expect it to pay off in winning. The winning strategies that I have seen so far go from very straightforward to incredibly bizarre." - Peter Lagergren, GOOSE ‘n DUCK, 2006
Please support and thank all of our sponsors: